EstiNOS – Best Choice of Next-Generation Network Operating System
EstiNet EstiNOS is a hybrid Network Operating System (NOS) that supports both legacy networking and advanced Software Defined Networking (SDN) for network switches. EstiNOS now can be run on Edgecore AS5512-54X and Nephos NPS4806 (Note1) bare-metal switch to form a complete open-architecture switch system, providing 48 10-GbE SFP+ port and 6 40-GbE QSFP uplink port. The packet forwarding speed can be up to 720 Gbps.
EstiNOS provides layer-2 and layer-3 protocols commonly used in legacy networks, allowing it to be interoperable with existing network devices; thus, seamless migration from legacy networks towards new-generation SDN networks can be smoothly achieved. In addition, it supports the state-of-the-art OpenFlow protocol, which is now the de facto standard for next-generation SDN networks. When running with Edgecore AS5512-54X/Nephos NPS4806, the system can provide 192K OpenFlow rules (in L2-only mode) and a large number of OpenFlow meters and counters in line rate, efficiently supporting necessary operations needed by SDN. Therefore, EstiNOS with its supported bare-metal hardware can form a highly cost-effective legacy/SDN hybrid mode switch, suitable for new SDN networks, existing networks seeking for smooth migration, and advanced new application researches.
The major functions and advantages of EstiNOS:
- Support legacy network mode and advanced SDN OpenFlow mode
- Designed for Top-Of-Rack (ToR) switches in private cloud and telecom SDN applications
- Open architecture, allowing open-source and third-party software to be run over it
- Support L2 and L3 protocols commonly used in private cloud
- Running with suitable bare-metal can deliver the following functions:
- Line-rate 720 Gbps legacy network or 720Gbps OpenFlow mode
- Provide up to 192K OpenFlow rules (in L2-only mode)
- Provide a large number of OpenFlow meter and counter
- Advanced QoS functions and Differentiated Service based OpenFlow
(Note 1) http://www.opencompute.org/wiki/Networking/SpecsAndDesigns